Saturday, September 13, 2008

More on cats...then lobsters

Last time I was commenting on how I do not care much for cats. I just wanted to expand on the whole animal subject by saying that for the most part I like animals. Fish, little hampsters (minus the ones with sharp teeth who enjoy biting your hand as you try to pet them), starfish, whales, dolphins, giraffes, gorillas, pandas, monkeys, lions, turtles, iguanas, mocking birds, butterflies, pigs, tigers, elephants, hummingbirds, camels and koalas-you name it and I'm pretty much happy that I get to share the planet with with them. It's just the common house cat or the feral kind running around campus that I dislike. Specifically, I am more of a dog person. I just like the relaxed way my own dog sets his head on my lap and closes his eyes to rest when I'm sitting there studying or talking with my family. Maybe cats do the same thing but I don't think I could get past my fear enough to let one try to get that close to me.
Also, I was thinking about trying some lobster before this past Wednesday but after the whole "nociception" discussion (even though I think Dr.Z just used the session to reveal what a farse that woman's argument was) I felt guilty about wanting to try it (I've never tasted lobster before). Now I wonder if Dr. Z has ever had lobster and whether or not he thinks it's humane to consume the animal. It's stupid, but I never thought about the fact that even though I think certain animals are tasty, they have brains and can feel pain. I didn't mean for that last part to rhyme, it just came out that way. But I eat the meat of cows and chickens nearly everyday and I'm pretty sure the same is true for them, so maybe I should just stop being so hippocritical and eat some pasta or something else instead. This is getting too ethically touchy so I'll stop here. Plus I don't think I could handle being a vegan and it's getting late and I got a ton of other work to get to so I have got to end this now. Goodnight bloggers, see you in class Monday hopefully.

No comments: