Thursday, November 20, 2008

Coffee is my kryptonite

About a week and a half ago I remember it was pretty chilly outside and so I decided to buy a small cup of coffee to warm myself up. I know because of past experiences that if I drink more than one cup, my body will not react well, but I thought I would be alright if I just had maybe like three fourths of this small cup. Plus, as I walked through the library lobby I saw a bunch of students sitting around chatting happily while sipping on their cups of coffee. They looked warm and happy and that's how I wanted to be, so you know, monkey see, monkey do. I bought a cup and sipped it while I ate a tasty banana nut muffin, not thinking about the effects the caffeine might have on my body. A couple of hours later, the effects seem to hit me all at once: my stomach felt like it had wings and was fluttering about within my abdomen, my mind was racing with the thoughts of the day and I felt like my heart was beating a little fast. Maybe this means that there is something wrong with my body in terms of metabolism or maybe it could be a bigger problem. But maybe I'm just highly sensitive to the effects of caffeine because I try to stay away from it as much as possible (except on days when I want a hot drink- which doesn't happen often). I don't know what it is but I didn't even finish that small cup and look what happened-Geeze! I like having a drink of coffee every once in awhile, but I tend to forget how ugly it makes me feel inside a couple of hours after I consume it. Oh well, next time I'll try to remember the way I felt and opt for another drink instead. Yeah, I know I'm weird, you don't have comment about it.

No comments: